Sunday, March 4, 2012

My speech to 2010 Two Rivers Graduates

Here is a speech I gave at the 2010 Two Rivers Graduation as President -
I think it shows a little bit about who I am:


Two Rivers Graduation Speech – June 9, 2010

When I became President of the School Board this year, I knew it was a tradition that the President does the commencement speech at the Two Rivers graduation. As a very reluctant public speaker, I started going over my options. Hmmmm, I could use my power to delegate this opportunity to one of my fellow board members, all of whom are talented, articulate speakers that I am sure would have been brilliant. I could use my strong technical and video skills, put together a video and let it speak for me. Then I thought "now wait a minute". This is the Two Rivers graduation and these graduates are not unlike me. For whatever reason brought them to Two Rivers they challenged themselves to find a way to another way to get an education that would work better for them. I knew I needed to challenge myself to do something that I am uncomfortable doing, and that I will be better for doing it anyway. So here it goes and it is truly an honor to be part of your graduation ceremony. Thank you Tom, for inviting me to speak tonight.

First I want to say, as a board member, I always enjoy the Two Rivers graduation. The smaller group and personal approach of this graduation allows us to learn a little something about each of the graduates as they receive their diplomas, something we really can’t do at the larger Mt. Si graduation. I know I will enjoy this evening very much.

Looking back on my own education, I realize that had I not been an Air Force brat and moved about every three years, my education could have been very different. When I was in Kindergarten in North Carolina, my parents put me in a Catholic school. After a month or so, the teacher called my parents in and started talking to them about possibly getting some special services for me. I wasn’t able to learn my numbers, alphabet, etc and I just wouldn’t talk in class. They were concerned I am sure, but we were also getting ready to move to Alaska, so they figured they would pursue this problem at the new school that I would be attending there. Once we moved to Alaska and I started attending kindergarten, I quickly rose to the top of the class and my parents were amazed. What was up with that? My guess, as a very shy five year old…I was terrified of the nun. Some people are afraid of clowns, I must have been afraid of the nun. If circumstances hadn’t caused a change of my learning environment, who knows what the rest of my education experience would have been like. Of course, maybe if the first teacher had just been in regular street clothes instead of a habit, I would have been okay.

As Dr. Seuss said "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."

Two Rivers give students an alternative learning environment and a more personal approach to learning. Two Rivers students benefit from being in a district that understands that kids learn different ways, that life happens and we are willing to work with them towards success. There is not one perfect path to an education that will prepare students for their future. We as a district are working to offer more and more options for all students. In a way, the Two River students might be considered "early adopters" of the some of the possibilities in education.

In preparing for this speech I reviewed our mission statement:

Expect the Best:

From Our Students · Of Our Staff · For Our Community

It is the mission of the Snoqualmie Valley School District to meet the individual learning needs of its students, thereby enabling them: to identify and realize their potentials, to develop skills and attitudes for life-long learning, and to be knowledgeable, productive, and involved citizens.

Those of us responsible for providing education to our students in the Snoqualmie Valley are striving to meet this mission. I hope that as you graduate and look back, that you can say we accomplished our mission for you as an individual or at least came close. I am proud of you all for taking responsibility for your education and reaching this importance milestone in your life. You worked hard, you persevered and you did it! I know through the night we will hear about family, friends, teachers and others that may have played a role in your success and I thank our community for being there for you. I have always said there is something very special about our Valley.

So one more Dr. Seuss quote:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Congratulations, best of luck and enjoy the rest of your life’s journey! Thank you!

Caroline Loudenback

SVSD School Board President

June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment