Sunday, March 4, 2012

Am I just too optimistic?


Some might think I am just too positive about our school district.  Kind of Pollyannaish...if that is a word.  Do I ever raise issues or make suggestions to the administration?  Absolutely!  I just choose to do it one on one, in a respectful, meaningful way instead of beating them up in a public meeting in front of the press and the audience.  I would not criticize or try to embarrass my kids in public, why would I do that to staff?   We have critics that come to our board meetings, some of them even ran for school board (or ran by proxy) that seem to enjoy making sure that every time we have a success they are there with the "yeah but, you need to do better here here and here". 

I have seen much improvement over the years and have participated in the ongoing planning to go from where we are today to where we would like to go.  I see the plans executed in the classrooms as I walk around the schools or see what the students are doing in and out of the schools. Anyone that has had a conversation with me knows that I am about as real as it gets. If I have something negative to say to someone and others are around, I will schedule a later time to discuss. Constantly pointing out every area that needs improving does not honor the work that has been done and the success we are experiencing.  It also leaves staff feeling defeated and pessimistic as though it will never be good enough for the critics.  Would you dismiss your kid's A on their test by pointing out where they didn't do as well in other areas or would you, at least for that moment, allow them to celebrate a job well done?  You don't build a great district by tearing people down.

We will continue to have success in our district and get better and better if we have a good team.  I hope we don't move backwards with a new school board with members that think it is their role to regularly criticize staff or advocate for a cause.  It is not.  We have some amazing staff who could work anywhere and they choose to work in our district because they are valued and respected.  I fear this could change as the new board members take their seats.  How they conduct themselves will make a difference and many of us will be watching to make sure they keep the focus on the kids.  This is not a game and it should never be about the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment