Sunday, March 4, 2012

Leading by Walking Around

Some people that see me in the Snoqualmie Valley School District Board Room during our formal board meetings might think I don't have much to say, but those that really know me, know for a fact that is not true.  It is true that formal public speaking is not one of my strong suits, but there are some great public speakers that have proven to be disappointments as leaders. There are also many quiet leaders in the world often holding up others.

My vision and expectations for our district are known by the superintendent and many of his staff members.  I am a consultant, so I have to be a very good listener and observer.  You can't solve problems by doing all the talking or just sitting in a meeting twice a month.  I like to go visit a school to see a program in action, attend advisory meetings or sit down and talk to staff member that is working on a special project.  If I have feedback, questions or concerns about something, I will go directly to the person that is responsible for that area of operation and talk to them prior to a board meeting. When I have an opportunity to attend the Summer Leadership Academy, the professional development training for the principals and executive staff I try to attend most if not all of it.  I have been the board liaison for several committees during my first term as a school board director and that is the work I most enjoy as a director. 

Over the years, I have volunteered my time on district level committee work and I enjoy being able to make a difference district wide. I have a established good working relationships with many of the staff members, community members, parents and students and I think they feel comfortable asking for my feedback.  They will get honest feedback that has a healthy balance of positive and negative aspects and it will be given in a respectful way that honors their experience and knowledge.  That is what a leader does.

No comments:

Post a Comment